Even more than in Bolivia, my time in Peru was dominated by mountains. After passing Lake Titicaca, I started off in the legendary mountains near Cusco.
 |
| On our way to Humantay Lake near Cusco |
I only stayed a few days in the area. Enough time for a day trip to Humantay Lake, a tiny part of the legendary Salkantay trek.
 |
| Humantay Lake near Cusco |
Going for breakfast at the big market in Cusco quickly became a daily ritual.
 |
| At the local market in Cusco |
One night spent in the Sacred Valley was my parting activity before going to the opposite side of the country.
 |
| The Sacred Valley near Cusco |
I hadn't heard of Huaraz until I was well into this trip across South America. I don't even remember who told me about it (and more specifically about the Huayhuash trek) but I am forever grateful.
 |
| Breakfast at my hostel in Huaraz north of Lima |
I spent a few days getting to know the charming mountain town, work out logistics, and doing some warm up with a day hike to the Churup and Churipita Lakes.
 |
Hiking near Huaraz on my way to Churup Lake
|
 |
| Churup Lake near Huaraz |
A rule of mine: If I see a lake, I have to go in.
 |
| A cold swim in Churupita Lake |
 |
| View over Huaraz |
The town of Huaraz has my heart. Passionately and completely.
 |
| Sunset over Huaraz |
Now, it was time for the big challenge: Five days on the Huayhuash trail.
 |
| Starting on the Huayhuash trail |
I went with a small group of international tourists like myself and a local guide.
 |
| First day on the Huayhuash trail |
The rainy season was coming to an end but many sections of the trail were still recovering.
 |
| Getting to our first campsite by Carhuacoha Lake |
Other hikers were scarce but still frequent enough for the dogs that roamed about the trail and the more popular campsites to be happy and well-fed.
 |
| Friends at our campsite by Carhuacoha Lake |
 |
| Carhuacoha Lake |
We were also well taken care off, having delicious and bountiful meals every day. Pure glamping.
 |
| In our meal tent |
 |
| Campsite at Carhuacoha Lake |
 |
| Moonlight on Siula Grande |
I don't really know what else to say. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.
 |
| Still morning at Jahuacocha Lake with Siula Grande in the background |
 |
| Huayhuash trek, day 2 |
 |
| Between Laguna Cangrajanca and Laguna Ciula |
 |
| At Mirador de Las Tres Lagunas, Huayhuash |
One of the other people from my group (whom I had already met when summiting Huayna Potosà in Bolivia, and who coincidentally ended up on the same guided Huayhuash trek as me) and I liked to go and explore a little on our own. While other people from our group were still making it to a saddle, we asked if we could climb a little further to a nearby top, curious about the view.
 |
| Running off (with permission) to a small peak for a different view |
And what a view! We discovered a hidden lake (see photo below) that wasn't visible from the saddle.
 |
| We discovered a hidden lake (to the right) |
I will just let the photos do the talking from here.
 |
| Morning of day 3 on the Huayhuash trail |
 |
| View of Laguna Cangrajanca, Huayhuash trek day 3 |
 |
| Doing the trail just as the rainy season was coming to an end, we did get a little rain... |
 |
| ... and a little snow as well on day 4 |
 |
| Huayhuash trail, day 4 |
 |
| Huayhuash trail, day 4 |
 |
| Huayhuash trail, day 4 |
 |
| Our campsite on day 4 |
 |
| Huayhuash trail, (final) day 5 |
 |
| Huayhuash trail, day 5 |
This was the perfect last stop. I couldn't have asked for a better goodbye with Peru and South America (for now (as always)).
Also, just as a fun final note: This was my full route through South America after I said goodbye to my dad in Misiones, Argentina:
From Posadas, Misiones to Lima, Peru with a detour in Brazil. Almost 8000 km by bus (a few hundred of them by hitchhiking). I don't really know how I did it. But I know I would do it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment